Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Between the Drafts

Recently, my professor Mr. Sweeney, had the class to read "Between the Drafts" by Nancy Sommers and I not only found it to be informative, but I found it to be enlightening.  Basically, what I got out of it was that the only way to create an original composition is to not be afraid to venture from the road that is most frequently traveled. 

It is important to learn the "Academics" of writing.  However, it is most important to stay true to yourself.  Our writings are a reflection of our experiences, our moods, our education, etc.   Thus, when we write a true original, it will reflect all of these elements which makes us who we are individually. For example, as I have been working on my Religion Essay, I chose a topic that is somewhat controversial, yet, it represented me and my background and it clearly shows that my Religious background teachings definitely guided my submissions on this subject.  Everyone from time to time, grapple with the "Evolution or Creation" issue.  I was 46 as of the 15th of this month and I still have to convince myself from time to time that creation is the only acceptable answer if you call yourself a Christian. Therefore, my thesis is basically stating that carbon dating is not a an exact science, and without that exact science, there is really no real standard to determine that the Bible is  not accurate in its depiction of how and when the heavens, earth and humans were created.

 Now that I am back in school and actually listening to  my teachers this time around, especially in my Western Civilization class, I find that my experiences, and education is affecting how I write and what I choose to write about.  Before I could finish my Religion Essay, I found myself almost trading sides of my own thesis.  All I know is that when I finish it, it will reflect my true self at that time. I will rely on the statistics and the hard evidence that supports either side, but in the end, I will chose the side that mostly reflect who I am as a person.

  I will end my Blog with a quote from Nancy Sommers Essay on " Between the Drafts:

"It is in the thrill of the pull between someone else authority and our own, between submission and independence that we must discover how to define ourselves.  In the uncertainty of that struggle, we have a chance of finding the voice of our own authority.  Finding it, we can speak convincingly... at long last."

No comments:

Post a Comment